Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Running more

Well, as my short Friday post stated, I did not do the Fowl Fun run this weekend.  I wasn't very happy about the situation, but what could I do?  Nothing.  So instead I went for a 5 mile run on Friday (my longest since the half on Sept 8th).  I felt good during it, but on Saturday my foot ached for most of the day.  I did good things for it, iced, rested, supportive shoes, stretched. 

I decided to see if I could imitate some of the strength moves that I was getting in my cycle/strength class on Saturday.  So I spent 30 min doing that, plus some pushups and a 2 min 15 sec plank.  I can tell the planking is getting easier.  When I went from 2 min to 2 min 10 sec I thought I was going to die.  However, adding more time doesn't seem to make it harder, it basically just stays at the same hardness.

Sunday I decided I was going to try to do a "long" run.  (I remember when long runs were 10+ miles.)  I have been missing the routes that I take on my long runs.  They are very similar to my regular runs, I just add side streets or a trail here and there to try to make the distance go as high as I need.  So because I knew it wasn't going to be a very long long run, I decided I would add just part of my long run route. 

Of course, I started out too fast, and was thinking about mile 3 that it would just be a normal 4 or 5 mile run.  However, by the time I got to mile 4 I had slowed down and was feeling very comfortable.  I could turn one way and go 5 miles, or I could turn another and go 6 miles.  So I went 6.  It felt very comfortable and exactly what I needed. 

I was worried about my foot aching again like it did on Saturday after 5 miles, but yesterday it felt great.  So great in fact, that I went out for an easy 3 mile run.  I love the weekends, it gives me time to actually go outside and run.  I don't have to worry about getting home from work in time to beat the fast approaching sunset.  (I realize yesterday was Monday, but I took it off because of having no daycare due to the holiday.)

This coming Friday I am getting a tattoo on my foot.  I have wanted this tattoo for a long time, but have been scared of getting it because I've heard the foot hurts a lot.  Also, I have put it off because it would mean I wouldn't be able to run for a while.  I hurt my calf a year ago in the summer, and took a month off of running because of it.  However, I didn't think of getting the tattoo then until I was starting to run again, and I didn't want to take more time off (although looking back it wouldn't have hurt me, I ended up having calf pain for a couple months longer).  Anyway, I decided if I got hurt again and not be able to run, I would get the tattoo.  And then of course the injury I got was plantar fasciitis, which requires shoes to be worn.  Anyway, I decided I was just going to do it, so I scheduled it a few weeks ago.
What I am getting on my foot, with
much more flowy lettering.
This means that I have to take up to 10 days off of running.  I'm not supposed to wear shoes that cover it for 10 days.  I may break that rule, but I do want it to heal well, and not get infected.  This will also be different than an injury because most forms of exercise require some sort of shoe.  I may break out some videos (hello, Insanity?) and do them in my living room without shoes on.  (Hopefully I don't injure my foot more.)

Because of getting the tattoo and not being able to do much exercise, I've been thinking about tightening up my eating again.  I'm not going to call it a cleanse, it's not really that, I don't think.  But I'm going to eliminate carbs, sugar, and most fats.  Lean meat (chicken, because I don't like fish) and lots and lots of fruits and vegetables.  No breads, no candy, no potatoes, no pasta, very little dairy (I'm still thinking about drinking coffee, with the creamer I use {which has sugar}), and possibly no alcohol (maybe ONE glass of wine here or there).   I only lasted 3 days last time, but this time, I'm going for 10.  Ugh!

Today is a rest day.  I'm thinking of doing the strength exercises again and of course I have to do my plank.  I'm up to 2 min 25 sec.  =)

1 comment:

  1. You can make it on the 'tightened eating schedule'!!!! You have a reason to....you will be more motivated just knowing that you can't run!

    Good luck with the shoeless exercising!!!

    ReplyDelete