Tuesday, August 20, 2013

More on camping and post from 8/17/13

Well, while camping I didn't write a whole lot.  I did write the two things that I've already posted, and one more.  This one isn't until Saturday, the day before we left.  I don't remember what days we did things, but one day Chris and I went to Lime Kiln State Park, which we've been too before, however, I wanted to go on a hike, so Chris followed a path and we ended up on a trail we've never seen before.  I didn't even realize there was more to the park than the lighthouse that we always go see.  But actually there's an old lime kiln (which is where the park gets the name, duh!).  We took the stroller on that path when we really shouldn't have because it was so rocky.  Chris pushed it partway, and then I pushed it.  The way Chris was pushing it, I was really worried that the wheels were going to break, but it seems to be fine now.

Then one day I forced Damian to go on a hike with me.  We did this hike last year and Chris and our friend Kyle went with us while I carried Maddox in a backpack thing.  I remember the hike being very, very long and very hard.  But D and I went up it quickly and it only took us 15-20 min to get to the top.  I think several things made it harder last year.  I was carrying a 15lb baby.  I was running, but not as much or as far, and am in better shape this year.  And the biggest thing was having Chris and Kyle along, who were/are completely out of shape and had to stop every 5 steps because it was rather steep.  I was amazed, and a little disappointed, this year at how not-hard it was.

I had mentioned to Chris that I would like to go on another hike at the end of the week, so on Saturday (after dropping my phone in a toilet) Chris found a trail he thought would be interesting.  We went on that trail, I took Maddox in the backpack.  The trail Chris found was very, very short.  We thought it was going to go around this pond, but it didn't, it went partway by it and then turned back towards the road and wound around back to the parking area.  It took us maybe 10 min.  The trail continued on the other side of the road, but it looked like a steep incline and I didn't think Chris would be interested in doing that.  However, he offered, so we went.  That trail wasn't much longer, or much harder than the first one, however, we ended up at a rocky bluff overlooking the ocean.  The best part was that the whales were right below where we were.  We stayed there a while watching the whales (Orca whales, May-Sept they feed - and fornicate - in that area of WA).  It was really nice.  =)  By this time my phone was dead, so I have no pictures of that at all.  =(

We also went to some other site-seeing spots, I think on Friday.  We went to the American Camp (when San Juan Island was being founded -I guess that's the term- there was dispute over who owned it, the British or the Americans, so they have two camps, the American Camp and the English Camp, my family toured the English Camp while D and I hiked up the not-hard trail.)  And then we went to another spot to just look at the water, I guess.  That's where these pictures were taken.




Saturday Aug. 17, 2013

Well, I haven't had the urge to write much because camping is hard work.  I have a 2 year old and somehow I am in charge of this whole thing.  I'm still not sure how that happened, but it did.  =/

I'll tell you one thing, we have definitely eaten well this trip.  Taco salad, dutch oven ribs, flank steak tacos (or as Chris called them, carne asada), stew, and tonight it's dutch oven BBQ chicken.  (My dad does the dutch oven, it's awesome.)  Breakfasts have been french toast, pancakes, hash browns, bacon, sausage, muffins.  We've been eating better than I eat at home...and I haven't had to cook much.  =)  Of course, I think I've gained at least 5 lbs.

I've done 2 hikes, neither very long ones, but I tried to make them as hard as I could.  One was pushing Maddox's stroller over a rocky trail and then running down and then back up some stairs while carrying him.  The second one was up a very steep trail and Damian and I speed walked up it.  When we got to the top, we played some cards and looked at the view (it was really, really pretty), but my pictures of it are still on my unworking phone.

I'm pretty much ready to go home.  I'm tired and dirty.  I think a week of camping is almost too long.  I'm wishing we had planned to go home today so we'd have tomorrow to "relax" (do laundry and unpack).  Sadly, I didn't and have to work Monday. 

I don't want to go back to work, but I am ready to go back to the real world . . . Facebook.  =)

Today Aug. 20, 2013
Yesterday I did 4 miles on my treadmill.  I have been feeling pretty "fat" (I know it's relative) so after the 4 miles I did 100 squats (with no weight because I was worried I wouldn't be able to), some push-ups, planks, and pull-ups.  I think it'd be really cool to be able to do pull-ups, which I'm currently unable to do at all.  I have to step on a stool and then pull myself up that way. 

The above machine was my inspiration, but I like what the lady below did.  I think I could rig that up in my doorway. =)

I really watched what I ate yesterday and made sure to drink lots of water.  I'm really not happy with seeing that 157 on the scale yesterday morning.  However, this morning when I got on the scale it said 153.  I am much more comfortable with that, and am thinking that a lot of the gain on Monday was water.  I KNOW I didn't drink enough water last week.  Don't get me wrong, 3 lbs up is still not good, but it is WAY better than 7 lbs up.  I'm going to continue to eat really well and drink lots of water, and run . . . lots of running.  =)  So I can get down into the 140's for good.  =)

Chris is back to wanting to lose weight.  I guess it takes multiple tries for it to finally stick, right?  He has decided to cut out most carbs and go on a "diet."  I really hate "diets" and I refuse to call what I do a diet.  I am trying to be healthy.  And I refuse to exclude foods from my life.  I just have accepted that I have to eat them in moderation and not all the time.  I am not a food addict, like I know so many people are, but I do know that I have foods I can't stay out of (licorice, we bought a tub for camping and it barely got eaten, I had to have Damian hide it last night so I would not be so tempted).  I feel that if I exclude food from my diet for a short amount of time, and lose weight and then add that food back to my diet, then I will gain all the weight back.  So I would rather eat it in moderation while I lose weight so I figure out how to handle it.  I have (mostly) excluded all fast food and I'm okay with that. 

Anyway, Chris LOVES potatoes, so he's decided that potatoes are excluded from his diet until he loses weight.  I don't think this is a smart move on his part.  He's said he's not going to exclude them forever, and I feel that if he doesn't learn how to eat only half of one, then he's going to gain all the weight back when he starts eating them again.  I am trying to be supportive, but I think I am not succeeding.  I've seen him start and stop (anyone remember Insanity?) so many times that I have become jaded.  I will shut my mouth and support him, no snide comments, no passive-aggressive remarks . . . just support.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun active time! (Well except for the phone in the toilet thing. Lol)

    ReplyDelete