Saturday, May 25, 2013

Treadmills, water, and long runs

I don't normally post on Saturdays, but I've had a very uneventful (boring) day, and yesterday was my first post in a week and a half so I felt like I wanted to do another one today.  Aren't you all lucky?  =)

Yesterday I ran 6 miles on my treadmill.  I noticed when I first got my treadmill it was really easy to run on it and I loved it.  Then when it started getting lighter and I started running outside again, I noticed that running outside was harder than it was when I first started running on my treadmill.  I decided that I needed to get off the treadmill and start running outside again, hills and all.  Then I didn't like running on the treadmill anymore because it became boring.  Yesterday the treadmill wasn't horrible.  I enjoyed it.  I rigged my Kindle onto it again and watched more of The Hunger Games and it went pretty quickly.  I don't know if this is because I hadn't been running much in the last 5 days or what.  Anyway, I'm really interested in finishing The Hunger Games (I have seen it before and read the books a couple times) but not interested enough to pop it into the Blu-ray player, so I'm thinking of running on it again.

Although, that's not the only reason for running on the treadmill.  Damian is with a friend at Lake Chelan (lucky kid, he goes way more places than I do) so I don't have a babysitter for Maddox.  Also, I still don't have an audiobook to listen to.  I have decided that I enjoy listening to audiobooks a lot more than music.  A year ago, there is no way I could have gone running without my music.  And finally, when Chris gets home today he wants to do a bunch of stuff, so I don't think I'll have time to run then.

Yesterday when I woke up I noticed that I had a "water headache." When I was younger I got a lot of headaches and somewhere in my late 20's-early 30's I realized this was because I didn't drink enough water.  I now drink lots of water and I can always tell the difference in a headache from dehydration and other ones.  I am not as good at drinking water at home as I am at work, so I often get a bit dehydrated on the weekends.  Since I had a really sore throat and was sick and home for 3 of my work days this week, I realized that I hadn't drank enough water all week. 
I decided that I was going to fill an empty gallon milk jug with water and force myself to drink it all.  I figured it would be hard and I would probably be floating by the end of the day.  I was surprised at the end of the day to realize I had drank the entire gallon, plus two 20 oz bottles of water and about another 8 oz from a glass.  I also noticed that I wasn't floating away, which means that I was really dehydrated.  I filled it up again last night and decided to do it again today.  I'm thinking that I will keep the gallon jug and use it on the weekends to make sure I'm drinking enough.

Anyway, today I finished my glass of water and decided I would hop on my treadmill in about 20 min (you know enough time for the water to go through my system), but then realized that I was hungry.  Running on an empty stomach is not fun, so I decided to make myself a steak sandwich (we had leftover steak from dinner last night due to always buying and freezing 4 steaks and then D not being here).  However, we are out of bread, so I had to just eat the steak.  =)  I like the steak thinner on my sandwich than I do when I have steak for dinner, so I had cut it thinner before I realized we were out of bread, so I ended up eating about 2 oz of steak instead of 4.  But that is good too, it makes it so I'm not hungry and maybe I can go running sooner.  =)

I'm trying to decide how far I want to go for my long run tomorrow.  Last week (May 19) I was going to run 10 miles but got sick.  The week before (May 12) I ran 8 miles, and before that (May 5) I didn't do a long run, but did walk 7.46 miles and then before that (April 28) I ran 11.  Needless to say I haven't ran hardly any long runs for almost a month and now I'm worried about going farther than the 8.  However, the half marathon I was planning on running is June 15th, only 4 weeks away. 

Before I got sick, I was planning on doing 8 miles (which I did on the 12th), 12 miles last week (May 19), see how that felt and maybe doing 13 tomorrow (May 25), and then 8 or 10 next week (June 1), and 8 June 8.  But since I didn't do the 10 last week, I don't really know what I'm going to do.  I realize this isn't an official training schedule, but then I haven't been doing any formal training for the half, just increasing my miles every week.  It scares me to decrease my miles, I worry that because I haven't gone a certain distance in a while, for example 11 miles on April 28th and nothing that far (or close) since, I won't be able to go that far now without problems. 

I should register for the half-marathon so that I don't have any excuse to not do it.  I am bad at waiting till the week of the race before registering.

Well, I think enough time has passed that I can go for my run on my treadmill.  Have a great weekend and always remember why we get this 3-day weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely, find a half and register for it!!! NOW! Do not delay! :-)

    Am I crazy? I've only run a 5k and I'm starting to seriously contemplate running a half. ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're only half crazy. =) haha After I do a half marathon, I'm definitely getting the bumper sticker that says "13.1 because I'm only half crazy" =)

      Delete