Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Workouts and church

Maddox is still sleeping in our room (where else would he go?) and I am not sleeping well.  He whimpers quite a lot in the middle of the night and I always hear him and wake up.  =/ 
Just because Maddox is so darn cute when he's sleeping.
This weekend I did not run outside more than once.  =/  I thought about the 3 day weekend and thought about running outside all three days, which was totally do-able.  However, I didn't.  Saturday I was just plain lazy and didn't want to do anything.  I had already run 5 days last week and had been planning on not running at all on Saturday because, first we were going to be in eastern WA with at least 2 feet of snow and then second because I was going to be going to Bainbridge Island for a gymnastics meet with my Mom.  Well, both things fell through and I could have run, but decided not to.  Instead I went for a walk with Heather.

When I got out the jogging stroller to take Maddox I was locking it into place and somehow I caught the skin of my thumb in the locking mechanism.  Not really realizing what I did, I pulled my hand away and then saw the very disgusting looking skin in the locking mechanism.  I looked at my hand and saw that I tore away a good quarter inch of skin, and had pulled some of the skin away (but was still attached) all the way into the pad of my thumb.  It didn't hurt much at first, but it was bleeding pretty bad.  I bandaged it up and we went for a walk anyway.  =)
This was taken today and really doesn't look very bad, but it
sure does hurt a lot now.
Sunday I went to a new church and I have mixed feelings about it.  I'll talk about all that in a min, but first I'll finish up my workout schedule for the weekend.  After church I went for a 5 mile run outside and even though it was a little windy, it felt great.  I combined a couple different routes and really enjoyed it, I can even see how I can expand it and make it into a 6 mile run.  Then on Monday I was lazy again all day.  Damian stayed at a friend's house and didn't come home till 3, so I didn't go for a run.  Instead I went to zumba, which I think was the first time in 2 or 3 weeks.  Next weekend I think I'm going to try for a 6 mile run.  I was reading some plans on how to train for a half-marathon and it doesn't really increase your weekday runs, just your long run.  It's just adding one mile a week with a few tapers here and there.  I think I may try it, even though the half I want to do isn't till September I think.  =)

Anyway, I know my blog is not about church, but this has been pretty heavy on my mind this weekend, so I think it will help to write it down.  =) 

I grew up in the Nazarene church, I even went to a Nazarene college (Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, Idaho), I've never really been to any other church.  I believe there are lots of good churches and denominations, I just have always stuck with the familiar. Anyway, I loved the pastor at the Nazarene church here in Mt. Vernon, but she left about a year and a half ago and I really haven't felt the connection with the church since she left.  I realize that pastors are not what makes a church, but they do set the tone of the church. . . Anyway, the new pastor is very nice, but I find him rather dry.  Plus, my church is very small and has no youth group at all.  Damian is 14 and I really, really want him to be active in a good youth group. 

Well, some friends of ours told me about their church and said that it has a really great youth group.  I decided to check it out and see if both D and I liked it.  Unfortunately, D slept in and didn't go to youth group so he ended up just going to the service with me.  It was a very big church.  And my friends were right, the youth program looks amazing.  The pastor's sermon was nice, but nothing that really caught my attention.  Nothing really stood out as wonderful and that I should go there.  In fact, I felt like I was cheating on my church.  I am not a big fan of big churches, I feel you get lost in them.  You can go to a big church for years and years and still not know anyone and no one knows you.

When I first started going to the Nazarene church in Mt. Vernon I went very, very sporadically, but the greeter at the door remembered my name, even after not going for a couple months and a hair color change.  I was extremely impressed with that.  I started going regularly and even joined the church.  Damian got baptized there, and Maddox got dedicated there.  And then the pastor left and I felt churchless.  I have not been going hardly at all since she left a year and a half ago.  In fact, I think I could count on one hand the number of times I've been.  It seems every time I go there are less and less young people there.  And the last time I went there were no more teens and no one my age at all. 

Well, I've really felt a pull to find a church.  D has gone to youth group functions with one of his friends and really likes it, so I have thought about going to that church, but it is really big and I haven't gone. Then our friends invited us to their church so I thought I'd try it out.  It's easier to go to a new place if you know someone.  But again, I just didn't feel that it was "right."  So I really don't know what to do.  I really want D to have a good time in a youth group (my youth group in high school was a lot of fun, and I went to a small church).  I just wish the Nazarene church had a good youth pastor that would build up the youth group. 

Any and all ideas on this topic would be very helpful for me.  Thanks!

*36 days till Disneyland!

2 comments:

  1. We're at a crossroads with Church too. We're not going anywhere at the moment. Living in a small town there is not a lot of choice. Seems we're too conservative for Pentacostal and too liberal for independant baptist. I'm sure as we wait on God He will give us direction on what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely relate to your church issue. 2 years ago, my husband and I decided to leave the church I had been attending for about 7 years. It literally felt like I was going through a divorce (well, I think it did...I've never been through a divorce, so I wouldn't know). I was a mess through the whole thing. We attended another church for about a year--I call it our rebound church--before settling into our current church, which is a much better fit for us.

    ReplyDelete