Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Happy "anniversary"

I noticed something yesterday . . . Let me start from the beginning. . . Yesterday I planned to go to Zumba, the class was $3, but I thought I had no money, so while I was taking a client grocery shopping at Walmart I decide I'd buy something small so that I can get some money back to go to Zumba.  I caved and bought myself a Butterfinger (yum!).  (Did you know that when you get money back at Walmart, they can only give you multiples of 20's?  How lame is that??  Not to mention as I was putting the $20 bill away in my wallet I found I actually had $15, how annoying.)  Anyway, I didn't eat it right away, I decided to save it for a little bit.  But then after Zumba I decided to eat it.  The first bite was fabulous.  But when I was almost done with it, I noticed I didn't taste it very much anymore.  I was just eating it because it was there, not because I liked the way it tasted.  Don't get me wrong I love Butterfingers, I just didn't notice the taste much after the first few bites.  So then I savored the last few bites.

But have you ever noticed that?  You enjoy the first couple bites of food, and then (if you're me) you arrange your last bite to have all the goodness possible, so you can enjoy your last bite as well.  The funny thing about this observation is that when I was reading old posts on A Small Loss today I saw that she said that people enjoy the first bite of food and the last bite of food.  I think that is absolutely true.  I enjoy my  first couple and my last bite.  I will even "arrange" my food (salads, etc.) so it has all the yummy parts for the last bite.  Yesterday I ate that entire Butterfinger just because it was there.  I could have stopped at halfway and even thought about it and been completely happy.  But no, I ate the whole thing. 

Today was my 14 year anniversary.  If you've read my about me page, then you know that I have not been with my husband the entire 14 years.  We separated, and actually went through a divorce (which I just noticed I didn't mention in my about me page), and then got back together after 6 years of being apart.  (We call each other husband and wife and are more committed to each other now than we ever were as a young married couple, but we've never officially gotten remarried.)  Neither of us remembers the date we got back together, so we really don't have a "real" anniversary.  I want to celebrate an anniversary though, so I declared May 2 (our original wedding date) as our anniversary.  I don't quite know how to count the years we've been together.  I always say we were married 14 years ago, but in reality we were not together for 6 of those years . . . so I always feel like I'm lying about the years.  Oh well, we know the truth, and we are extremely happy with the way life turned out. 

This year we celebrated our anniversary at Damian's extremely long baseball game.  We are completely broke at the moment, so even if we hadn't had that game to go to, we still wouldn't have done anything.  But it's kind of a let down to not do anything.  Chris bought me some flowers and I meant to get him a card, but I am such a space cadet that I forgot to do that. 

This is Chris's and my song.  It fits us perfectly.

            I Need You ~ Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
I wanna drink that shot of whiskey
I wanna smoke that cigarette
I wanna smell that sweet addiction on my breath
I wanna ride 'cross West Virginia in the backseat of a Cadillac
You know some cowboys like me go out like that
So I need you

(Chorus)
Like a needle needs a vein
Like my uncle Joe in Oklahoma needs the rain
I need you like a lighthouse on the coast
Like the father and the son need the holy ghost
I need you

I wanna get lost in some corner booth
Cantina Mexico
I wanna dance to the static of an AM radio
I wanna wrap the moon around us and lay beside you skin on skin
Make love 'til the sun comes up… 'til the sun goes down again
‘Cause I need you

(Chorus)
Like a needle needs a vein
Like uncle Joe in Oklahoma needs the rain
I need you
Like a lighthouse needs a coast
Like the father and the son need the holy ghost
I need you
oooohhhhh I need you

I wanna drink that shot of whiskey
I wanna smoke that cigarette
You know some cowboys like me go out like that
So I need you
ooooohh I need

I wish I had a picture of Damian playing baseball to post, but my phone was almost dead at the game so I didn't take one.  Instead, in honor of my "anniversary" I'll leave you with a cheesy quote picture. :-) 

1 comment: